Our Clinic has been serving the Saanich Peninsula and the communities of Saanichton, Brentwood Bay and Sidney for over 30 years. We’ve seen a significant evolution in our profession during this time. We provide the most up to date research based treatments to keep you moving. Here is a little more about what we do:
Physiotherapy, or Physical Therapy as treatment is a recognized and effective solution for musculoskeletal problems. Physiotherapists are primary health care professionals with a significant role in health promotion and treatment of injury and disease. They combine their in-depth knowledge of the body and how it works with specialized hands-on clinical skills to assess, diagnose and treat symptoms of illness, injury or disability.Your physiotherapist will conduct a thorough consultation including the history of your problem, and a detailed examination.
Assessment may include tests of muscle flexibility, strength, joint movement and other special tests which are all provided at our clinic. Our Physiotherapists are trained in the treatment of post-operative orthopedic procedures, fractures, acute sports injuries, arthritis, sprains, strains, back and neck pain, spinal conditions, and amputations.
Joint and spine mobilization/manipulation, ultrasound, therapeutic exercise, neuromuscular re-education, hot/cold packs, and electrical stimulation are modalities often used to expedite recovery in the orthopedic setting. Those who have suffered injury or disease affecting the muscles, joints, bones, ligaments, or tendons will benefit from assessment by our Physiotherapists.
Once a problem has been identified, we will discuss and implement a physiotherapy treatment plan specific to your needs. We will also teach you how to help yourself get better and stay better.
We provide treatment for various clinical conditions ranging from orthopaedic and sports injuries to motor vehicle accidents (ICBC) and work related injuries (Worksafe BC).
Our physiotherapists at Saanichton Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic are trained in the most effective and up- to-date treatments available. Physiotherapists use many tools to provide integrated and effective treatment. You may require manual therapy, including joint mobilization or manipulation, corrective exercise, postural retraining or other physical treatments. Physiotherapists also use electrotherapy and other treatments such as acupuncture or massage, if useful for your condition.
Response to treatment depends on the nature of the problem. Many patients see rapid changes and pain relief, while others with more complicated problems will improve with work and time. Regardless, you can be sure that you will have the best quality of treatment for your problem, and the tools to help yourself get better.
Our services include extensive musculoskeletal and functional assessments to determine the cause of your symptoms. We offer assessment and individual treatment for acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. We can create custom exercise prescriptions or programs to minimize your dysfunction as well as offer expert advice on how to manage your injury, disease or disability.
When people think of physiotherapy, they often think of electrical modalities. These types of treatment have been around for many decades, and are helpful in treating acute injuries more often than chronic ones. If there is a modality that will help you, we will certainly offer it, but don’t be surprised if your problem resolves without any of these ‘traditional’ types of treatment. It all depends on your particular condition. Our Physiotherapists always focus on treating the cause of the injury rather than just the symptoms.
What types of Physiotherapy techniques do we use?
- Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy – joint and spinal mobilization and manipulation.
- Sports Physiotherapy – Advanced techniques with the Athlete in mind.
- Taping – for acute and chronic soft tissue injuries. We are experts at sports taping
- Acupuncture- our therapists excel at using a scientific approach to this ancient art.
- Massage Therapy– We work closely with our Massage Therapists to find optimal solutions.
- Traction/decompression – for spinal problems particularly low back and neck pain.
- Ultrasound Therapy– Using sound waves to heal soft tissue injuries and fractures.
- Laser Therapy – to optimize healing in soft tissue injuries
- Electrotherapy – TENS, muscle stimulation, Microcurrent
- McKenzie Therapy – therapy and exercises for the treatment of neck and back pain
- Interferential Current Therapy – for reducing pain and swelling following an acute injury
- McKenzie Therapy – safe therapy and exercises for the treatment of neck and back pain.
- Mulligan Therapy– mobilizations through movements, a gentle, effective approach.
- Hydrotherapy – rehabilitation in our special pool.
- Soft Tissue Therapies – Hands on work including myofascial release, trigger point release, etc.
- Bracing for specific injuries- Knee, ankle, wrists, elbow, foot, back braces fit to size.
- Pre Season Screening-improving strength, balance, coordination, proprioception, endurance and flexibility.
- Orthotics– Custom orthotics prescribed from information analyzing foot function, lower limb biomechanics and gait analysis.
- Vestibular Rehabilitation– for treatment of vertigo and other vestibular-related conditions.
- Fall Prevention Programs– Falls can be life changing- we use the best tools to prevent them.
- Women’s Health– Pre and Post natal physiotherapy treatment and exercise advice.
- Rehabilitation Training and Personal Training- On staff Kinesiologist and Personal Trainers.
- Ergonomic Workplace Assessment- We will come to your office to keep you moving safely.
- Workshops and Seminars specified to your needs (give us a call)
If you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain, we can help you. Using modern science and research we provide the best solutions for the Saanich Peninsula.